The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a device say "Laptop" gets 'Disposed", Can Service Now tool reclaim unused Software License automatically

YASHIK
Kilo Expert

Assuming i have SAM / HAM / Discovery / Service mapping plugins subscribed, installed and activated on my side, Can the service now tool automatically reclaim unused software and update the system with an increased license count for all the license software that were installed on that specific device (Laptop) that was retired recently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ken Neikirk1
Mega Guru

If you are using SCCM and install and configure Client Software Distribution (CSD), the tool can do this.

Aside from that, when a CI is retired, there is a business rule that removes the related installed software from the Software Installation table in ServiceNow.  However, that does not remove the software from the device, without CSD, that would have to be done outside of ServiceNow

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken Neikirk1
Mega Guru

If you are using SCCM and install and configure Client Software Distribution (CSD), the tool can do this.

Aside from that, when a CI is retired, there is a business rule that removes the related installed software from the Software Installation table in ServiceNow.  However, that does not remove the software from the device, without CSD, that would have to be done outside of ServiceNow

Hi Ken, Thanks and appreciate your prompt reply. I will read more about this tool.

User393270
Giga Contributor

@YASHIK ~ Generally, laptops are tied to users and the users carry around the installed software under their roaming user profile for optional non-baseline image included software [at least should be configured that way unless they are floating loaner temp laptops].

Create a license reclaim rule - Create a reclamation rule to import Microsoft SCCM usage data

jdfd444
Kilo Contributor

Hey, did you try to replace disposing of parts of your laptop? you should keep away them from your working parts. You can also get an idea of how to get rid of it from disposeitwell.